An important part of homeownership is making sure your home is operating as efficiently as possible. The following simple home energy saving tips are a great way to start reducing your energy usage – and your energy bills – this season!
- Service your air conditioner. Replacing and cleaning your air filters can reduce your energy usage by up to 15 percent. Make sure you check your AC’s evaporator coil annually to ensure optimal performance.
- Switch to energy-saving light bulbs. Changing just five of your most-used lights to LED energy-saving bulbs could save you up to $75/year.
- Use electronic power strips. Save up to $100 a year by reducing “phantom loads.” Plug electronics into power strips and turn them off when not in use.
- Reduce your water-heating bills. Lower the temperature of your water heater and install low-flow showerheads to reduce your water-heating energy consumption.
- Ensure air ducts are completely sealed. A quick trip into the attic or crawl space with a roll of HVAC Foil Duct Tape could decrease your energy waste by up to 30 percent and significantly reduce your energy bills.
- Insulation, insulation, insulation. Save up to $200 per year on heating and cooling costs by installing sufficient insulation in attics, crawl spaces, and basement rim joists.
- Your thermostat is your friend. Reduce your energy costs by up to 10 percent simply by utilizing a programmable thermostat. Use it conscientiously throughout the day and lower usage when you are not home.
- Window treatments! Installing energy-saving blinds, shades, films, or curtains can go a long way towards conserving energy and reducing your heating and cooling bills.
- Buy some caulk. Use low-cost caulk to seal cracks around windows, doors, and throughout your home. Keep precious cool air in your home and money in your pocket.
- You can be your own energy star. Little things like opening windows, using ceiling and bathroom fans, and grilling outside on warmer days really do matter. Reduce your energy spend, increase your comfort, and do something nice for the earth everyday!
By implementing even one of these tips, you can save hundreds of dollars a year in energy costs and do your part to reduce energy waste. Your home keeps you and your family safe, dry, and happy all year long – it deserves some extra love!
Be sure to ask your Trelora agent about potential sustainability rebates, tax deductions, and grants. You may qualify for an incentive program near you.