There’s a reason nearly 90% of sellers use a listing agent. Selling a house by owner (FSBO) isn’t easy. It takes time, knowledge of neighborhood trends, and negotiating skills. Eliminating the agent’s commission—6% of the sale price, on average—sounds really good. There are many benefits of selling a home yourself, but make sure you think through the pros and cons of selling your own home.
5 Things to Know When You Sell a House By Owner
- You Will Handle Negotiations Alone: If there are negotiations that have to be done, you will be left to handle them alone. You won’t have a real estate agent to help you out to ensure you get the buyer to the highest price possible. Make sure you price your home right to make this part of the process easier.
- A FSBO Is A Lot Of Work: At times it may feel like selling your own home qualifies as a part-time job. It will be a lot of time and effort to effectively market your own home. And to sell it at the best possible price. However, if you want to save the real estate agent fees, it may be worth the $1000s for you to do it. But don’t be surprised if it feels like you have a part-time job at times.
- FSBO May Take Longer to Sell: If you don’t have as many connections as a real estate agent selling the home may take longer, which will require patience to wait out. If you want to sell your home as fast as possible, an FSBO may not be the best option for you.
- No MLS Exposure: If you choose to sell your own home, you won’t be listed on the Multiple Listings Service (MLS). So you won’t be able to get your home in front of as many prospective buyers as you could with an agent.
- Annoying Phone Calls: If you list your house as a FSBO, you will receive countless solicitation calls from agents wanting to work with you. Do you have time to field these calls and not get frustrated?
There is an alternative to selling FSBO:
There are also other alternatives to either an FSBO or a real estate agent. TRELORA is an alternative that will get you all the benefits you see when using a traditional agent (professional photography, MLS listing, expert guidance, etc). And it’s all for one flat fee of $3,000 in Colorado and $4,000 in Washington. It’s the best of both worlds.
It’s up to you to decide which option works best for you. But having expert guidance can help you get the best “bang for your buck” to reduce your stress and sell for a great price without paying traditional agent commissions.
Need help selling your home?
Trelora real estate serves the Colorado Front Range, Summit County and Seattle Metro Area and our mission is simple: full service real estate for a fraction of the cost. When you hire a traditional agent to help you buy or sell your home, man cave or no, you pay that agent 3-6% of the home’s value.
When you hire Trelora, you pay just 1% to sell your home. You’ll also get best-in-class customer service, and a team of expert agents who close hundreds of deals per year. And keep in mind, especially if you’re moving or you have friends in other states, that Trelora can help you in Atlanta, Charleston, Charlotte, Denver, Los Angeles, Phoenix, Raleigh, Sacramento, Seattle and Tucson. In the meantime, please stay healthy and safe.
Christopher has been been in the Real Estate industry for 8 years and has had the opportunity to close over 1,000 deals while acting as the Managing Broker for thousands more. Christopher is passionate about continuing to find ways to simplify, maximize, and serve Trelora’s clients exceptionally well and spends his time building teams to deliver high levels of service. When not doing real estate Christopher can be seen training for marathons and ultra relays with his 2 year old daughter, eating pizza, and drinking a steady stream of Diet Coke.